Friday, September 24, 2010

Michelle and the hateful, horrible, awful day...................

Today started off pretty good. I got my little sugar lump up and fed and dressed and took her and dropped her off at school. She was ready and raring to go for school today.
And then, the day got suddenly horrible...I mean, hateful, horrible, awful. In just the space of about twenty seconds, the laughter I had bubbling up in me was GONE!!!!

As I pulled back into our yard (our driveway is curvy and lined with trees and old stumps) I ran over what I thought was a stump. As I looked in the rearview mirror, I saw a sight that stole my breath away.
There was StanLee, our beautiful chocolate lab puppy running hell-bent for leather into the wooded lot. It took me about twenty seconds to realize that I had not hit a stump. In fact, I had run over my poor puppy.
I had to come inside and wake up my two boys to help me look for him. And we did. High and low; low and high, and I had to make them stop looking and get ready for school. And then we looked some more. (We live on ten acres and about99.99999% of that is woods). And the property surrounded ours is dense trees and underbrush.
Finally, I had to abandon the search and make the boys go to school. My oldest boy, (this was his puppy) is very angry with me and it breaks my heart. I have not seen my son cry in a long time and as we were searching, the tears were rolling down his face. My heart is broken. Not so much about the dog, although I do love that rascal, but because my son's heart is broken and I was the cause of it.
My husband got home from work and spent hours looking through the underbrush and has not been able to find StanLee.
My house is a sad place today.

4 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh my goodness... this is horrible! I'm so sorry... for everyone...

I accidentally ran over our cat in our driveway & it shook me up so bad... still does... HUGS to you all!

Laura Marchant said...

Oh my goodness, how is it going now? Please update us.

Shelley said...

Update for you all. It is Sunday evening and my son has located Stan Lee. They buried him at their grandmother's house next to her old horse.

The Barn Wife said...

Oh I am sooooo sorry about this! My oldest is my true blue animal lover. If this had happened in my family, I'm not sure she would have ever spoken to me again. I can relate to what you must be going through with your son. Oh my! My heart and prayers go out to you.